What kind of surgeon or doctor do I need?

I get this question a lot, "what kind of surgeon or doctor do I need?". Actually seeing a medical internest in all cases is a good place to start with any kind of medical or surgical problem. He will refere you to the appropiate specialist. For acute severe problems you should go to the ER. That being said here is the list.
Hernia: general surgeon or hernia specialist.
Hernia mesh pain: Hernia mesh pain specialist.
Hemorrhoids:general surgeon.
Back problems: Neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon.
Kidney problems: Urologist or nephrologist.
Brain problems: Neurosurgeon or psychiatrist.
Bladder problems: Urologist or gynecologist.
Testical problems: Urologist or general surgeon.
Female organ problems: Gynecologist.
Bone or joint problems: Orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist.
Skin problems: Dermatologist or general surgeon.
Abdominal problems: General surgeon or gastroenterologist.
Vision problems: Optomologist, not optomotrists(who are not doctors) and might overlook serious problems and just give you glasses.
Hearing problems: Audiologist, if you need a surgeon he will refer you to a ENT surgeon.
Constipation: Gastroenterologist then maybe a general surgeon.
Blood in urine: Urologist!
Blood in bowel movement: Gastroenterologist then likely a general surgeon.
Dizzyness: See a medical internest first.
Chest pain: See your medical internist first then possibly a cadriologist who may refer you to a cardiac surgeon if needed.
Memory problems: See your medical internist.
Headache: Medical internist.
Skin wound: General surgeon.
Achne: Dermatologist.
Abdominal pain: Medical internist then maybe a general surgeon.
Foot pain: Podiatrist.
Frequent urination: Medical internist then possibly a urologist or endocrinologist.
Hair loss: Medical internist.
Weight loss: Medical internist.
Weight gain: Medical internist then possibly a bariatric surgeon.
The bends after diving: This is an emergency. Go directly to the ER.
Right lower abdominal pain getting worse: This is an emergency. Go directly to the ER.
Loss of movement in the face, arm or leg: This an emergency. Go directly to the ER.
Acute loss of vision in any eye: Go directly to the ER.
Fever of 102 F: Go to the ER.
Protracted vomiting: Go to the ER.

Copyright (C) Kevin C. Petersen, M.D., 2005-2022, All Rights Reserved